Now that orders are coming in again – I have a few that I’m going to try at DSI. I spoke this morning with Eric at DSI and it was just a straight foward conversation and what I learned was that they use two common profiles: Adobe98 (which is what I’ve been using for years for b&w) and hmmm PhotoPro? I forget. Anyway, the fiber paper is the same Ilford Gallerie Fiber that I was using for years in the darkroom. Can you imagine that?
I’d better calibrate my screen again – haven’t done it in a few months. And just as I was speaking – a fourth order came through. So it’s starting again. I’m planning to do these orders through DSI, and send a physical proof from the inkjet along as a guide.
WCI would still be necessary for the really big prints – even if this works out (which I expect it will).
Things are turning around. I found a place RediMat that has 12 x 16 Museum Rag with 12 x 8 openings at a reasonable price, if you buy enough (which I did).
And the next step is to prepare the files for DSI and see how it goes. As I say, I’m hopeful that this works out. Since these really are silver gelatin prints – and since that still means something to some collectors – well that may make it easier to sell at the higher prices. We’ll see; but what I like is: they just do black and white prints (well they do scans and infrared conversions etc.) but basically they are doing b&w. The idea of combining digital workflow with silver fiber prints – that is something that I thought about a long time ago. And they are fairly small – again something I like. Usually customer service is good at this sort of place that is essentially working with artists.